While deer are usually singled out as the carriers of adult ticks, researchers have turned their focus to white-footed mice, which host immature ticks and can pass the Lyme-causing bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi from one generation of ticks to the next, according to an article on scientificamerican.com. The white-footed mouse is described as an “animal weed” by a biologist quoted in the article, because they can continue to surge in population even as human development encroaches into the forest.
Download Our Poster
Featured Teacher ResourcesKnow Any Aspiring Vets? Our Vet School Admission 101 provides advice for junior high through pre-vet students.
- Fake service animals in action
- Skunk + late vaccine + inflexibility = dead dog
- Another Capnocytophaga infection in a healthy person
- More on Ebola
- Ebola kills dog...indirectly
- Ebola: precautions and paranoia
- More hatching chick associated salmonellosis
- Parvo poop and the outdoor environment
- More bad news on the MRSP front
- Never a simple story: West Nile in California