Last Friday, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine professor Dr. Ralph Brinster was at the White House to receive the National Medal of Science from President Obama (Dr. Brinster receives his award around the 9:30 mark of this White House video). Dr. Brinster is the first veterinarian to receive the award. He was honored for his trailblazing work in transgenesis — where researchers produce animals with selected traits that serve as indispensable models in understanding life processes and disease.
Download Our Poster
Featured Teacher ResourcesKnow Any Aspiring Vets? Our Vet School Admission 101 provides advice for junior high through pre-vet students.
- Out of bounds, out of luck
- Communication done right: EVH-1 in Minnesota
- Mad Cow in Alberta
- Equine outbreaks...EHV-1, glanders
- Avian flu in a dog: Korea
- Groundhog zoonoses?
- Echinococcus multilocularis...small tapeworm, big problem
- Canadian companion animal Ebola guidance
- Turtles and botulism
- Rabies warning for Kugluktuk residents