Scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands, working independently, have found a way to genetically engineer H5N1, the avian bird flu, to make it highly contagious to humans. Ron Fouchier, the Dutch scientist, created the virus in a lab and then infected ferrets, which transmit diseases to each other similar to the way humans do. (A ferret infected with the virus could cause another ferret housed in the same cage to get sick simply by being nearby.)
Download Our Poster
Featured Teacher ResourcesKnow Any Aspiring Vets? Our Vet School Admission 101 provides advice for junior high through pre-vet students.
- More hatching chick associated salmonellosis
- Parvo poop and the outdoor environment
- More bad news on the MRSP front
- Never a simple story: West Nile in California
- Cry me a river...crackdown on Angels' Eyes
- How to fix an iPad
- Casual cat causality
- Vet clinic infections...who should pay?
- EEE alert, Ontario
- FDA releases 2011 antimicrobial resistance data